Places to stay, things to do, good food and drink
Love is in the air in the Forest of Dean & Wye Valley, but if you’re looking to do something special there’s no need for grand gestures.
Here are some little ideas to show your loved one how you feel on a day out together; this year keep it simple and don’t break the bank.
1. Hire a canoe and spend a day bobbing along on the water together.
2. Try Forest of Dean Greenways who offer trails that can be walked, cycled, or taken by horse!
4. Explore Puzzlewood; featured in many popular television programmes, this location is unbelievably magical. Walk through a mile of twisting trails and marvel at the tree and rock formations. Try not to get lost (apart from in each other’s eyes).
5. If you can’t shake off the cold, even better! Head to Tintern Abbey cottage which has a wood-burning stove – the perfect setting for a cuddly couple.
6. Visit Parva Farm Vineyard for sweet mead and wine tasting, or enjoy a picnic for two overlooking the valley.
7. Browse through paperbacks together at Stella Books who have over 30,000 vintage and out-of-print books. Buy each other a special copy and don’t forget the personal handwritten note in the front.
8. Add a touch of class to your average cuppa and treat them at Occasionally Tea.
9. Alternatively, step back in time at Goodrich Castle Tearoom – explore the magnificent grounds then enjoy a delicious lunch made only from locally grown ingredients.
10. A la Lady and the Tramp, split one of Abbey Mill’s famous ‘Mill Wheel’ tea cakes – big enough for two!