L is for
Lydney is a small town and civil parish in the English county of Gloucestershire. It is located on the west bank of the River Severn, close to the Forest of Dean. The town lies on the A48, next to the Lydney Park gardens with its Roman temple in honour of Nodens.
In 1588 the Vice-Admiral of England Sir William Winter was granted the manor of Lydney in recognition of his services against the Spanish Armada. In 1723 – the Winter family sold their Lydney estate to the Bathurst family.
Mallards Pike Lake
Mallards Pike Lake was voted the best place to picnic in the South West in the Warburton’s Picnic Awards 2010!
Mallards Pike Lake was constructed by the Forestry Commission for use by local people and visitors and are now a popular attraction for walking, cycling and other adventure activities. The family cycle path runs close by and Go Ape is just a short walk from the car park. Mallards Pike is easily accessible and is suitable for buggies and wheelchairs.